The History of Holy Rosary Church
1915: A mission wooden chapel named Holy Rosary was erected on the corner of 16thand Springfield Boulevard.
1917: A parish was created to include the chapels of Our Lady of the Angels in the Lackawana Section and Holy Rosary in Springfield.
1919: Rev. William Barry purchases property on Cottage Avenue and the Wooden Chapel was moved to a new location.
1920: A two-story house on Cottage Avenue is purchased to be used as a rectory.
1921: In October, Holy Rosary becomes an independent parish.
1922: Property is purchased on Laura Street for a new Church building.
1923: Cornerstone is laid by Bishop Patrick Barry; work is started on the new church.
1923: In December, First Mass is celebrated in the Church on Cottage Avenue and Laura Street.
1924: In January, the Church building is dedicated. The rectory is moved next to the Church on Laura Street. Original wooden chapel is converted into a parish hall.
1952: Property is acquired at Brentwood Avenue and 41st Street.
1957: Groundbreaking ceremony for Holy Rosary School.
1958: Holy Rosary School opens its doors for classes and dedication is held. The school was staffed by four Sisters of St. Joseph from St. Augustine and 4 lay teachers.
1960: Redemptorist Fathers staff Holy Rosary Parish.
1962: Mass also celebrated in Lake Forest Elementary School to minister to the increasing population in the Northshore and Lake Forest areas.
1964: In April, groundbreaking ceremony for a Provisional Church and Parish Hall on Brentwood Avenue.
1964: In October, Provisional Church is dedicated by Archbishop Joseph P. Hurley.
1966: Sisters of St. Joseph leave Holy Rosary School.
1967: Sister of Notre Dame from Toledo, Ohio staff Holy Rosary School.
1973: Construction is completed on the new rectory on 41st Street.
1984: In February, groundbreaking ceremony for new Church on Brentwood Avenue.
1984: In October, new Church on Brentwood Avenue is dedicated by Bishop John J. Snyder. Provisional Church is converted into a parish hall.
1986: Church on Cottage Avenue and Laura Street is closed.
1992: In August, Sisters of Notre Dame celebrated 25 years in the Parish.
1996: In October, 75th Anniversary of the parish, celebrated by Bishop John J. Snyder.
1998: In May, 40th Anniversary of Holy Rosary School.